Hillier Nurseries and Garden Centres is working on an environmental impact audit to evaluate how it can reduce the business’s carbon footprint, director Chris Francis has announced.
He was speaking at the annual Hillier Garden Centre Awards, which celebrate the successes and achievements of employee, plus the support of its leading suppliers.
The five centres joining the group- during the past year– Cheddar, Dorking, Lechlade, Marlow and Three Legged Cross – were warmly welcomed. “It is a great pleasure to see our top suppliers, head office, nursery and garden centres teams joining together to celebrate. In particular, a warm welcome to newcomers to our business,” said Francis.
After announcing record growth, he said that the most important issue facing the industry is the impact businesses have on the sustainability of the planet. “We cannot ignore the facts that must drive us all to take action,” he urged. “Our customers continually tell us it is one of the most important factors in their lives.”
He announced that Hillier was working on an environmental impact audit, evaluating every element of the company’s operation in order to reduce its carbon footprint as quickly as possible.
He also paid tribute to Sarah Eberle, who has worked with Hillier on designs for RHS Chelsea Flower Show for the past four years. “Our thanks go to everyone who contributed this year, helping us win a 74th consecutive gold, from the Hillier team to our sponsor, Stihl. Over the last four years, Sarah Eberle has not only designed incredible gold medal-winning gardens, but helped us establish a new team to deliver our Chelsea exhibit. She has done this so successfully, she has replaced herself, mentoring Lilly Gomm, who will take on sole responsibility in 2020.”
In 2018, Hillier completed a DIY SOS-style garden makeover charity project. Reminding guests of the joy it brought to the Burrell family, Francis urged everyone in the room to get ready for another big project in the planning. George Hillier, director of property and one of the fifth generation of Hillier family involved in the business, announced the details along with how it would help the lives of many people at a difficult time.
- Best Gardening Club Events 2019 - Botley
- Marketing, Merchandising and Social Media Award 2019 – Liam Byrne (Hillier Garden Centre Sunningdale)
- Gardening Club Champion 2019 – Eric Pleydell (Hillier Garden Centre Bath)
- Horticultural Supplier of the Year 2019 – Meon Valley Nurseries
- Plant Area of the Year 2019 - Sunningdale
- Garden Shop Supplier of the Year 2019 – Decco Mill
- Garden Shop of the Year 2019 – Hemel Hempstead
- Home, Leisure and Outdoor Living Supplier of the Year 2019 – Woodlodge Products
- Home and Leisure Shop of the Year 2019 - Horsham
- Restaurant of the Year 2019 - Banbury
- Hillier Nursery Employee of the Year 2019 – Slavek Dikta
- Head Office Employee of the Year 2019 – Asha Lockyer
- Garden Centre Department Manager of the Year 2019 – Kevin Ramsell (Hillier Garden Centre Botley)
- Garden Centre Manager of the Year 2019 – Roy Whitehouse (Hillier Garden Centre Banbury)
- Garden Centre of the Year 2019 - Botley (pictured above)
- Garden Centre Employee of the Year 2019 – Joshna Desai (Hillier Garden Centre Chichester)