Doff Portland Ltd has announced the launch of its new and exciting organic slug killer based on the active ingredient Ferric Phosphate. This comes less than a month after DEFRA announced that the chemical Metaldehyde would be banned for use in slug control and will be phased out over the next 18 months. Until now, pellets containing Metaldehyde were the most popular form of slug and snail control.
Doff is based in Nottingham and was established in 1946, distributing its British made products nationwide through wholesale & retail customers. As the UK's longest established manufacturer of Slug & Snail killer it also has a long standing export history built up over 70 years. The company has a reputation for the highest British quality standards and a trusted brand in over 25 export countries throughout Africa, Middle East, Asia, South America and beyond.
The new Ferric Phosphate product from Doff will be offered at two different formulations: one containing 1% Ferric Phosphate, and one at the higher concentration of 3%, both certified with the OF&G for use in organic farming.
Ben Shapiro of B7 Ventures which acquired Doff in 2012 remarks, "Since acquiring the business we've invested significantly to ensure we have a sustainable and competitive product portfolio, our new Ferric range is testament to this."
Demand is significantly increasing for the new and improved Ferric Phosphate product mainly due to its greener, environmental credentials. The endorsement of Organic Farmers & Growers (OF&G) Organic Certification is furthermore enhancing Doff's Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) profile within the marketplace. OF&G certify more than half of UK organic land and provide support, information and licensing to Britain's top organic food businesses.
In promoting its product range Doff will continue to work with the Common Sense Garden initiative which is run by the Garden Group of the Crop Protection Association.
"All the major brands of garden care products are signed up to this initiative which promotes responsible use of garden products and is focussed on educating gardeners on best practice," said Shapiro.
Doff supplies the entire industry from independent garden centres and high street retailers to Supermarkets and large national retail chains.
"Data shows that approximately 85% of all slug pellets sold were Metaldehyde based, the remaining 15% containing Ferric Phosphate. There is no question that there will be a large market of gardeners and organic farmers who will be desperately looking for an alternative and reliable slug deterrent. Doff's Ferric Phosphate product will meet that demand," said Shapiro.
To find out more about Doff Portland, visit www.doff.co.uk