Pacific Nurseries of one of 20 finalists in the Ruxley Rose competition.
The GCA has announced the finalists for its annual Ruxley Rose competition. Twenty centres all received top scores in the summer inspections, delayed from the normal spring inspections due to Covid, and have now been put forward for autumn judging.
Iain Wylie, GCA Chief Executive, said: “Earlier this year our member garden centres received visits from our inspectors and their findings have determined the 10 finalists in the Garden Centre (GC) category and the 10 finalists in the Destination Garden Centre (DGC) category. All of the finalists are now through to the autumn stage of the competition and will be visited by our judge, Alyson Haywood, this month. She will evaluate how our members are continuing to promote and sell plants during the autumn season.
“The centres will also be judged on their excellent quality, presentation and overall range of plants available as well as the layout of their plant areas. Overall impression, access and use of demonstration areas will also be looked at.
“Staff at our member centres are also being judged on their knowledge and customer care and service.”
A winner from each category will be determined and announced during the GCA’s annual conference in January 2022.
The Ruxley Rose finalists in the Garden Centre category are:
- Cowell’s Garden Centre in the North East
- Klondyke Group – Daleside Garden Centre in the North West
- Klondyke Group – Garden Wise (Dumfries) in Scotland
- Klondyke Group – High Legh Garden Centre in the North West
- Klondyke Group – Stokesley Garden Centre in the North East
- Pacific Nurseries in the Midlands
- Pennells Garden Centre – Grimsby in the Midlands
- Planters at Bretby Ltd in the Midlands
- Squires Garden Centre – West Horsley in South Thames
- The Old Railway Line Garden Centre in Wales & West.
The Ruxley Rose finalists in the Destination Garden Centre category are:
- Barton Grange Garden Centre in the North West
- Baytree Nurseries & Garden Centre in the Midlands
- Bents Garden & Home in the North West
- Fron Goch Garden Centre in the North West
- Gordale Nurseries Ltd in the North West
- Monkton Elm Garden Centre Ltd in the Wales & West
- Pennells Garden Centre – Lincoln in the Midlands
- Planters Garden Centre – Tamworth in the Midlands
- St. Peters Garden Centre in the Midlands
- Webbs of Wychbold in the Midlands
Iain added: “Our Ruxley Rose competition aims to inspire our member garden centres to maintain best practice at all times and have centres that are inviting and attractive to customers. It is a prestigious, year-long competition that our members work extremely hard towards throughout the year, and one that is particularly exciting and rewarding after such a tumultuous year.
“Our members can also benefit from Alyson’s practical advice on achieving best practice as well as showcasing their own innovative sales initiatives.
“I would like to say a huge ‘congratulations’ to all of the finalists and wish everyone the best of luck for the next stage of the competition.”