A ‘catastrophic’ fire at an aquatic shop was prevented when water from a bursting fish tank doused some of the flames.
The fire started at Maidenhead Aquatics in Hawley Garden Centre near Dartford, Kent, on New Year’s Eve.
Staff were unaware of the blaze when they returned to work after the Bank Holiday but found the centre covered in soot and residue. It’s believed the fire started because of an electrical fault behind a fish tank.
Garden centre director Jan East told Kent Online a tank had burst, helping to douse the flames.
She said that a couple of fish were lost but she was thankful the outcome hadn’t been ‘catastrophic’.